Congrats, you’ve made it through another fantastic year that was full of surprises and awkward dating experiences.
Looking back on 2014 you’ve probably made some wonderful accomplishments:
Started a new relationship
Ended a draining situation
Gave your Boothang the boot
Found a lover unlike no other
Or you found more reason’s to love yourself
Whatever the case may be, last year was a good year to learn from your mistakes, strengths and weaknesses to make this year the best dating year starting with today. And of course, I’m going to help get you started on your path to dating with a purpose. I don’t want you dating your ex-boyfriend from three years ago that cheated on you and is all of a sudden blowing up your phone. Nor do I want you to fall for that girl, who only calls you for favors and although she may have a big booty and keeps her hair done, if she’s not moving your relationship further it’s time to go. You cannot go into 2015 with the same confusion and time wasting as last year. Below, I’ve listed 5 things to do BEFORE you start dating, because we need solid partnerships, kept promises and engagement rings.
Let’s get started:
1. Write down what you want in a relationship. It’s very important to know what you want out of a person before your search. This is the same with grocery shopping, you write your list, head to the store and end up grabbing a lot of things you didn’t need. Your refrigerator is full but your pocket is empty and you forgot some key things that you actually need for survival. The same thing goes for dating, get exactly what you want out of a person, it may sound hard and ridiculous but in the long run it will save you from feeling like you’ve bitten off more than you can chew.
2. Stick to your standards. There are somethings that you don’t have to tolerate from people and these are your standards. It’s easy to stray away from them especially if the person you meet is a dynamic human being, but you have to put yourself at a high standard as well. If you only want to date a gentleman that opens doors, pulls out chairs and respects you to the fullest extent then hold your potential fellows to that standard. Just because you don’t know anyone like that right now does not mean that they don’t exist.
3. Be the best you. Make sure you are ready to bring another person in your life. Have you ever been in a relationship and the break up summed up to “it’s not you, it’s me”. Well, in some cases it is them. I know that’s a hard pill to swallow but if you’re not ready to commit to making yourself happy, it’ll be hard to be happy with someone else. It’s important to perfect your craft, grow your business, make peace with your Creator and enjoy your hobbies even after you start your relationship. Continue to do what you love because that’s what attracted you to them.
4. Get out of your fantasy. Remember when you had a crush on that special someone for years and when you got the chance to get to know them it was one of the worst experiences ever? That was because you mentally created this romantic love affair without taking the person for what they presented themselves to be. A crush. It’s always exciting to indulge in a little fantasy but you don’t want to make a movie about it. The key is to get to know the person that you are thinking about, so you won’t find out you’ve been wasting five years of your life going after Mr./Mrs. Wrong.
5. Keep an open mind. Your new situation, is just that new. Two people that are attracted to one another and are trying to mend personalities. This is not your EX, yes they went to school together, yes they played in the same basketball league but the person across from you is not the jerk that broke up with you through text message. Give yourself a chance, give the lovely face in front of you a chance. Just don’t settle for the drama if it does arise.
It’s doesn’t matter when you date, whether you want to take a couple month’s off or start tonight. The most important part is that you start this year off dating with purpose so that you can end it with a better than last year success rate. In most cases your ex might try to come back into your life, hold them to your standards as well. If they can’t handle how you’re organizing your time with the right people then they don’t need to be in your life. At the end of the day, dating is about respecting yourself and the individual that you’re with. It’s easy to fall off because you’re influenced by social media and comparing your life to others. But stay strong, you will get the relationship that you’ll never see coming but first you have to change your mindset. Happy You and Happy New Year!!